I still haven't written about Friday's hike up Doi Suthep mountain but I'll just have to do that tomorrow.
Today was, hands down, the best day of my home stay. Yesterday (Friday), on the motorcy ride home, I asked Paw what we would be doing this weekend. He said he was going away all day Saturday and most of Sunday so I should make plans with a friend. Meh doesn’t drive. Well, we were a little too late to make plans…it just isn’t that easy here. So, after a ton of calls and wrong numbers, I thought I was out of luck. I guess I seemed a little frustrated because then Paw said well maybe you can come with me. Originially Meh didn’t want me to go because she was nervous something would happen to me. So, Paw called the woman in charge of homestays at 8pm the night before we left and she said YES! So, 6am today, I was up and ready to go to Tak. I didn’t know what we were doing except it had something to do with painting and a bunch of his friends were going and Tuk is another province and 2 hours away. So we head out…
The ride was ridiculous…these men obviously have a sense of humor although I’m not sure what kind. Paw’s friend talks SO LOUD and constantly sounds like hes yelling and after he says anything they all laugh like hyenas. Not kidding. I actually took a video. It was hilarious. I had no idea what they were talking about but I just couldn’t help but laugh. And then I would hear them say “farang” (meaning wihite foreigner, sometimes derogatory depending on who says it and the context) and look at me or put their hand on my knee and then start cracking up again. So, I know I was part of the amusement…I just don’t know exactly what. So, we stop to eat breakfast with the rest of the crew! Breakfast was like most people’s dinners and we ate it out of the back of a pickup. It doesn’t matter where you eat or the circumstances, Thai’s always have full elaborate meals.
The artists were all hilarious and so sweet. One woman , Kwan talked to me for a while and told me that I was really great at Thai and she was really impressed! I later realized I told her I had been in Thailand for 4 months instead of weeks so when I later told her I made that mistake she was even more impressed. Her English is perfect. There were a few old women who were so adorable and wonderful. I had already eaten by the time they came and they kept saying kgeen caow??? (meaning eat mean??) and I said kgeen leow (I ate already!), and they were just so excited about the fact that I spoke some Thai, which made me feel great! I think I’m making myself sound better than I am. I know enough to get by but can by no means keep a conversation or even remember half of what I have learned hah.
Anyways, after breakfast we headed on and the cackling and yelling continued as I tried to take a nap. Didn’t happen. About a half hour later we stopped for lunch. Wasn’t hungry…but ate anyways so then my stomach hurt a bit for the last hour and a half of the drive! They planned this two hour drive to last half the day…they like breaks.
| Kid that came to paint...there for more than an hour! |
So, we chilled for a few hours at the hotel and then headed off to a market. They waited about an hour to leave because they thought it was too hot outside…Thais are sensitive to heat, I have realized. So, we get to the market and Paw puts out our paintings. He brought the one I started the first weekend! Turns out this group of 15-20 does this every Saturday. They come to this market and each have their craft (painting, wood work, making things out of banana leaves, etc!) and they bring supplies for the children of the village to take part as well and they teach the children how to do the craft. They said they do it because they don’t want children to lose touch with the Thai art culture. Love it. This is just one part of the vast market. There is a stage where the students of the town sing, dance, play instruments, all in traditional Thai costume. There is also amazing food! I really had the best time.
| My new friend :) |
Anyways, this was the highlight of my trip so far. No question. It was just a really great day and I met all the nicest people.



Where to begin?! Your enthusiasm is infectious!Of course, I was cackling like a hyena, myself, of course. Luckily, I am alone in the flat at the moment. I love the pictures and I really like that you see your painting at the beginning (no color really) and finished. I was probably most amused, though, by "Casey as Zoo Attraction," my little "farang!"
ReplyDeleteHaha yeah. That painting was fun because I knew it was just for fun and I couldn't end up with it anyways so I just went for it. Wish I had that opportunity more often!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! You're very popular with the Thai's! I love your painting!
ReplyDeleteI'm waiting for your next post!!! I love reading these. Fascinating stories, great insights into Thai culture and life. I am learning a lot. Love ya, daddy
ReplyDeleteI love leaving your blog on a high noWhathappWhat happened to telling us about your hike up Doi Suthep? Also, definitely want to hear how learning the Thai song for the families goes.
ReplyDeleteKeep posting since soon you won't be able to post!
I didn't understand that, mom?? There wasnt anything too spectacular about the hike so i dont know if im going to write anything. I am pretty busy and don't have much time for posts now! I'll try!
ReplyDeleteSorry. You started this post by suggesting that the hike deserved one, too. So, I thought you'd written one, but hadn't posted it. No pressure. I love talking to you when you call. From your description of the complexities of learning Thai, I can hardly imagine your having time for almost ANYthing else. Enjoy your last days with Meh and Nong Not. Love you
ReplyDeleteCasey, that painting is gorgeous! I'm just now catching up on all your blog posts, but I love hearing how you're doing! I sent the blog address to my parents too because they always ask about you, and nowwww you can tell them yourself! Hope you're having a wonderful time! love and miss you.
ReplyDelete